The sketch depicts the Temple of Aesculapius with its ornamental sculptures situated along the edges of the roof, surrounded by the small lake, the weeping willows and other trees that surround it.
The Giardino was designed by the architects Antonio and Mario Asprucci and commissioned by the Prince Marcantonio Borghese during the second half of the XVIIIth Century.
The sculptor Vincenzo Pacetti also participated in this project (which started in 1784), devoting himself to the restoration of the sculptures that decorate the small temple. Its façade – scattered by four fluted columns with Ionic capitals, on which we find the triangular pediment with the inscription (Ασκληπιωι Σωτηρι: [dedicated] to Aesculapius savior) – is topped by a triangular pediment decorated with a bas-relief in stucco depicting the God’s arrival in Rome.
 A. Campitelli, Villa Borghese – da giardino del principe a parco dei romani, Rome 2003, pp. 252 – 301.